About the Local History and Genealogy Section
Our mission is to be a voice for local history and genealogy librarians in the international information community, to facilitate networking among subject specialists and libraries, archives, museums, and related societies and institutions, and to encourage the development of genealogy and local history collections and user services.
- Be a voice for genealogy and local history librarians in the international information community.
- Facilitate and promote global networking among genealogy and local history professionals and between libraries, archives, and museums serving genealogists and family and local historians.
- Support and promote improved traditional and electronic genealogy and local history reference services.
- Proactively address data privacy and information access concerns that affect genealogy and local history collections and services.
There are two mailing lists associated with the Local History and Genealogy Section:
- GENLOC - This is a mailing list for those interested in the work of the Local History and Genealogy Section. The purpose of the list is to provide an international forum for local history and genealogy librarians to exchange ideas and experiences and to find help in answering patron questions. To subscribe, go to the web interface for this mailing list. Submissions may be sent to GENLOC@infoserv.inist.fr.
- GENLOC2 - This mailing list is used to facilitate communication among Members of the Standing Committee. Members may access the list at its web interface or send submissions to GENLOC2@infoserv.inist.fr.
Last update: 24 May 2019