28 November 2016
Call for nominations: IFLA Committee on Freedom of Access to Information and Freedom of Expression (FAIFE)
Term of office: August 2017 – August 2019
On behalf of the Governing Board of IFLA, I am writing to invite you to nominate an individual to a place on the IFLA/FAIFE Advisory Committee.
The deadline for the receipt of nominations at IFLA Headquarters is Monday, 01 March 2017. No late submissions will be accepted.
Freedom of Access to Information and Freedom of Expression (FAIFE) is an initiative within IFLA to defend and promote the basic human rights defined in Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. FAIFE provides advice to the Governing Board and Secretary General on these issues in relation to IFLA’s strategic direction, and works in consultation with other relevant IFLA professional programmes and sections.
The responsibilities of the FAIFE Advisory Committee are to:
- advise the Governing Board on freedom of access to information and freedom of expression in all aspects, directly or indirectly related to library and information services;
- monitor the state of intellectual freedom affecting the library and information community worldwide;
- promote awareness of and activities related to freedom of access to information and freedom of expression;
- encourage reflection on and activities supporting the understanding of fundamental library principles and ethics;
- support IFLA policy development on freedom of access to information and freedom of expression aspects, directly or indirectly related to library and information services,
- collaborate with IFLA’s advisory committees and professional units where specific expertise may be provided by FAIFE or drawn from IFLA’s committees and their networks;
- cooperate with other international human rights organisations, and respond to violations of freedom of access to information and freedom of expression as defined in Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
Nominations will be considered for the term of office 2017-2019.
Only one nomination will be accepted from each National Association and Institutional Member. The Board takes into account the need to ensure wide geographical representation on the Advisory Committee.
Nominees should have:
- significant interest and expertise in the issues within the Advisory Committee’s terms of reference
- the ability to report authoritatively on the state of the affairs in their own country and its region, and actively promote freedom of access to information and freedom of expression issues.
- a reasonable expectation of being able to attend (without cost to IFLA) the business and professional meetings of the Advisory Committee. The business meetings are usually held before and during the IFLA World Library and Information Congress beginning in Wrocław, Poland, in August 2017 and up to and including August 2019;
- a working knowledge of at least one of the working languages of IFLA (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Russian and Spanish). Since the business meetings of IFLA are generally conducted in English, reasonable fluency in this language is necessary to be able to fully participate as a member of the IFLA/FAIFE Advisory Committee; and
- the ability and willingness to contribute regularly to the work of the Advisory Committee in between congresses.
The Chair of the FAIFE Committee, Martyn Wade, will advise Governing Board on the selection of names from amongst those nominated.
The maximum size of the IFLA/FAIFE Advisory committee is 13 members.
The Governing Board will appoint the members of the Advisory Committee and successful nominees will be informed by May 2017 so that they can make arrangements to attend the IFLA World Library and Information Congress in Wrocław Poland, 19-25 August 2017.
Please use only the enclosed nomination form.* It must be signed by the authorized signatory; that is the individual who is listed in IFLA’s records as the organisation’s highest official and whose name appears on the attached nomination form.
I am looking forward to receiving your response.
*Nomination forms, including supporting information, have been dispatched to all voting Members of IFLA on 28 November 2016.