Strategic Plan 2008-2009
Our mission is to be a voice for genealogy and local history librarians in the international information community, to facilitate networking among subject specialists and libraries, archives, museums, and related societies and institutions, and to encourage the development of genealogy and local history collections and user services.
Goal 1: Be a voice for genealogy and local history librarians in the international information community.
(Professional Priority: Supporting the role of libraries in society. Pillars: society, profession.)
- 1.1. Organize open session programmes on genealogy and local history topics and, where appropriate, do so in collaboration with relevant IFLA sections to reflect the relevance of these topics across the information community.
- 1.2. Develop and promote a unified response to major developments in the international information community, where they impact on genealogy and local history library services.
Goal 2: Facilitate and promote global networking among genealogy and local history professionals and between libraries, archives, and museums serving genealogists and family and local historians.
(Professional Priority: Developing library professionals, supporting the infrastructure of library associations. Pillars: profession, members. Partnerships: libraries, archives, and museums.)
- 2.1 Promote and increase active participation in the GENLOC listserv bymaking it a useful source of ideas and information for genealogy and local history librarians.
- 2.2 Improve content of the semi-annual issues of the Section newsletter by attracting articles from a broader range of contributors.
- 2.3 Promote Section membership by contributing articles to key genealogy and family and local history journals and speaking to interested user and professional groups. 2.4 Promote cooperation between libraries, archives, and museums by developing relationships and joint projects with relevant international organizations.
Goal 3: Support and promote improved traditional and electronic genealogy and local history reference services. (Professional Priority: Promoting resource sharing, developing library professionals, promoting standards, guidelines, and best practices. Pillars: society, profession.)
- 3.1 Survey national libraries for genealogy and local history services.
- 3.2 Collect guidelines for genealogy and family and local history collections and services via GENLOC and professional contacts.
- 3.3 Share information about genealogy and family and local history resources and best practices through IFLA conferences, the Section newsletter, the GENLOC listserv, links on the GENLOC home page, and joint programs with archives and museums.
Goal 4: Proactively address data privacy and information access concerns that affect genealogy and local history collections and services. .
(Professional Priority: Supporting the role of libraries in society, defending principles of freedom of information. Pillars: society.)
- 4.1. Use the GENLOC listserv to identify and share information about data privacy issues and legislation and other issues affecting access to information.
- 4.2 Work with FAIFE to develop a code of ethics or guidelines for respectively providing access to genealogy and local history indices and source documents on the Web.
- 4.3 Establish communications with international and national archives, library, and museum associations to encourage working with the proponents of data privacy in developing legislation that addresses their concerns while preserving access to information for legitimate genealogical and local historical purposes.
Last update: 5 October 2012