Subject Analysis and Access Section Annual Report 2016-2017
Subject Analysis and Access
Annual Report, 2016 January-August
This is a report on the Section’s progress and activities for the half year between January 1 and the IFLA World Congress. Future reports will be for the time period from World Congress to World Congress.
If you have questions about our work, suggestions about what you would like us to work on, or you would like to help us, please contact one of the members of the Standing Committee.
Monitor and provide information about current issues and new developments in subject access
Project/Activity: Exchange information/expertise through collaborative activities
- Planned and hosted the Satellite meeting, “Subject Access: Unlimited Opportunities” that was held on 11-12 August 2016. Presentations and papers available from meeting website; papers will be available from the IFLA Library.
- Published The Metadata Newsletter, v. 2, no. 1 in June 2016 in collaboration with the Bibliography and Cataloguing Section Standing Committees.
Project/Activity: 2016 Open Program
- The Section’s open program, “Reclaiming Subject Access to Indigenous Knowledge” was held on Aug. 16.
- The Section co-sponsored the Audiovisual and Multimedia Section’s Open Program, “Improving Discoverability of AV and Multimedia by Transforming Raw Data into Linked Open Data,” held Aug. 15, 2016 with 110 attendees.
Develop new and review existing standards and guidelines related to subject access.
- Enlisted members for the Genre/Form Working Group
- Contributed to FRBR harmonization through membership on the FRBR Review Group.
Provide information about the work of the Section and Standing Committee
Project/Activity: Change the name of the Section to better reflect its focus.
- Voted in March to change the name change from “Classification and Indexing” to “Subject Analysis and Access” (all votes were positive); approval received by the PC on Aug. 12, 2016.
Build the capacity of the Standing Committee members
Project/Activity: Promoted membership; published meeting times/places; encouraged active participation; liaise with library associations and national libraries
Last update: 26 February 2019